Wednesday 7 October 2015

An Offaly good week

Please excuse radio silence

The last couple of weeks have been ridiculously busy.  In 7 nights I was out 4, which never happens in my life, but many meetings coincided.  

The most exciting evening out was in my local pub.  I have finally started a crochet and knitting group in the community.  In all my married homes I have been part of a group which met somewhere in public.  In Southgate I started one in a cafe with Lucy, in Middlesbrough I joined a thriving group which met at Nature's World, and now, after 3 years, I have found enough willing members and a location.  

I fear walking into pubs.  Any pub, anywhere.  I am not sure where I am expected to look or go. Bar?  Restaurant? Dining area?  Where?!  I am not a local - will they all stare?   Gladly (although not for the owners), not many people attend my local pub, and it is HUGE and very well cared-for inside.  Our first night was just a reccy, because I needed to know whether the light would be good enough on a nighttime for us to see our stitches.  Lo, and behold, halogen spots over a large bank of very comfortable chairs.  It is a wonderful place for the group, so Pints & Needles begins next week.  Oh yes!  I am looking forward to our Tuesday nights in there and hope to meet lots of people who I wouldn't meet any other way, and teach them to crochet if they would like to!


                                                                        *

Offal

Most people can't bear it.  But i have been celebrating the start of autumn this week with Liver and Kidneys.  The children have coped admirably.  Nick and I have delighted in eating them! 

If you have never tried it, I recommend you do.  Cheap and nutritious, easy to cook, very tasty.  What is not to love?

Liver and Bacon

You need (yes, need)

Lambs liver, enough to feed your family.  400g perhaps
Flour (gluten-free is fine)
salt and pepper
Oil
Bacon
1 onion, chopped
Chicken stock cube
boiling water


Put some flour on a plate and mix in some salt and pepper.  Coat your pieces of liver in the flour on both sides.  

Heat up the oil in a big heavy frying pan.  When hot, add the liver (in batches so as not to crowd the pan).  Fry gently for 1-2 minutes until golden.  No more than this!  Turn over and cook until red liquid (alright, blood.  If you've got this far in an offal recipe you're hardy enough to take it) seeps out of the side you fried first.  Take it out.  Liver does NOT NEED over cooking!  Keep the cooked liver on a plate.

Once all the liver is cooked, fry the bacon until yummy. Remove and add to the liver plate

Add your chopped onion and gently fry with the dark, crispy, meaty bits until soft and yummy looking.  Chuck in a stock cube (I use Kallo chicken) and stir about.  Turn up the heat and slowly add boiling water (straight from the kettle), stirring all the time, until the gravy is your preferred consistency.  Bubble for a couple of minutes, then turn down and return the liver and bacon to the gravy to warm through for a few minutes.

Serve with buttery mashed potato and fresh veg.  Nothing fancy.  


                                                                *

I once did a recipe for stir-fried liver with ginger.  I couldn't eat it.  Liver should probably only be cooked as above!


No comments:

Post a Comment