Friday 11 September 2015

Gluten-free Apple (and Blackberry) Cake

I don't really understand this recipe thing...

...how a recipe becomes yours when you change the words a bit.   I suppose there aren't many new cake recipes which would actually work, but I have spent the evening (while Hama beading) pondering how to introduce this recipe. 

2 days ago I remember seeing a recipe for apple cake on facebook.  The urgency to use it arose when a kind congregation member gave us a LOT of apples, which needed to be used quickly (and a few hours later another kind congregation member came round with lots of blackberries, hence the optional extra in this cake)*.

I searched for the cake, and the person who had posted it then gave me another, simpler recipe for apple cake.  I looked at it, reckoned it could be made gluten-free, adapted it as such, made a few errors along the way, and had delicious cake for dinner.  So whose recipe is it?  Have I written a recipe, or should I credit it?  I think it is actually mine, but i still feel a little guilty, but probably not as guilty as when I'm eating it in bed later.**

It was easy, it was delicious and youngest child had 3 helpings.  Both children refused to eat Apple and Blackberry pie last week so I felt this cake was something of a triumph in the children-eating-cooked-fruit challenge.


Easy Gluten-free Apple Cake

3 Eggs

350g caster sugar 
1 tsp cinnamon
110g oil (It's MUCH easier to weigh liquids!)
180g Doves Farm wheat-free self-raising flour
120g ground almonds
6 apples

Heat oven to 170C.  Line an A4 tin, 5 cm deep, with parchement

Stir together the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, oil, flour and almonds.

Peel, quarter and core the apples.  The slice each quarter thinly widthways and stir into the cake mixture.  Stir in blackberries if using them.

Put into the tin and spread into the corners.  Put into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until nicely brown on top.

I left it in the tin to cool a bit, but we ate it warm with creme fraiche or yoghurt.  






* The Bible doesn't command giving homegrown fruit to pastors, but many people act as though it does, for which I am grateful and feel very loved!

**Gluten-free cake goes stale a LOT quicker than normal cake, so should always be eaten in bed at night, for breakfast, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea and pudding again.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think this would work as just a blackberry cake? Without the apples? I thought, "a nice gf recipe". Then remembered my gluten free child can't eat apples due to high fructose levels. But blackberries are pretty low in fructose and we picked a load that need eating! What do you reckon?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just replied below. Too complicated, this blogging thing!

      Delete
  2. Do you think this would work as just a blackberry cake? Without the apples? I thought, "a nice gf recipe". Then remembered my gluten free child can't eat apples due to high fructose levels. But blackberries are pretty low in fructose and we picked a load that need eating! What do you reckon?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, just saw your comment. You can only try! Not sure about cinnamon and blackberries though. Is there a better spice?

    ReplyDelete