Sunday 13 September 2015

Squab Lamb Casserole

For the day when a pie is too much effort

A few years ago I found a recipe for Gloucestershire Squab Pie in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's mum's recipe book.  This is a lamb pie with apples, and seasoned with allspice and nutmeg.  I adore this pie!

This week has been pretty tiring, mostly mentally, with a church event this afternoon to prepare for, and I didn't really have a grip on what I was going to cook when I bought a small lamb joint from New Close Farm Shop (have you visited yet?).  

When I got home, and remembered the vast quantity of apples we have been given this week (both cookers and eaters), I wished I had bought lamb pieces, because then I could have made that wonderful pie (albeit it with gluten-free pastry these days).  Then I thought, I couldn't really face making a pie anyway.  Then I had my ah-ha moment.  Perhaps I could just potroast the lamb joint in the pie gravy ingredients.  So I did, and it was delicious!  The original recipe didn't have carrots or celery in, but since they needed eating, I added them in.  They aren't essential.

Squab Lamb Casserole

Serves 6

oil
1 lamb joint (ours was 1kg shoulder)
1 large onion, finely sliced
3 sticks celery, finely sliced
Carrots, chopped into chunks
4 small/2 large cooking apples, pealed, cored and cut into chunks
1 Tbs flour (gluten-free if necessary)
1tsp ground allspice
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 150C

Heat 2Tbs oil in an ovenproof casserole pot which has a lid.  When hot, fry the lamb joint for a couple of minutes each side until browned.  Remove the lamb to a plate.

Add the onions and celery to the pan and cook gently for about 10 minutes until soft and beginning to brown.  Add the apples carrots (and any other veg you have lying about, I guess!) and cook for a few more minutes.  Add the flour and spices, salt and pepper and fry for a minute, stirring.  

Replace the lamb, making sure it nestles down with the veg.  Pour in some hot water until it covers the veg, but is below the top of the lamb.  Put the lid on and bring to the boil.  Transfer to the oven and cook for about 2 hours.  Serve with some potatoes and green veg.

Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment